Thursday, June 6, 2013

Our First Date - Continued!!!!

In my last blog, I told about how Michelle and I went out on our first date. The date was a memorable one for me. After she picked me up, we went to Olive Garden and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Michelle had the Tour of Italy while I enjoyed the Veal Marsala. The meal was filled with a lot of small talk seasoned with the great aspirations I had for ministry. I thought at the time I was destined to be the next mega-church pastor. In looking back on the conversation I am surprised I didn’t scare her away with some of my grandiose dreams. 

After dinner we played miniature golf followed by a time spent at the Banks of the Wabash Festival. It was there that Michelle and I rode the Ferris Wheel together for the first time. I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed the conversation, but I thought that this was probably our last date. After all, I was returning to Lee University in the fall to continue my education.

The months of June and July were spent separated from Michelle as she went back to Michigan for the summer. During these two months I was convinced that my wife to be was at Lee University waiting for me to sweep her off her feet. However, God had other plans.

At the time I was still involved in the Pentecostal/Charismatic movement and all that goes along with that. On several occasions I had people prophecy to me that Michelle was to be my wife. While I didn’t take their prophecies seriously, it did get me thinking of the possibility of Michelle becoming my wife. Even so, I continued to be resistant to the idea until one fateful Sunday morning toward the end of the summer. Michelle had returned to church with her mother and grandmother in tow. Our pastor preached a powerful sermon and at the end of it I felt impressed that Michelle was the one for me. I wasted no time. I made a bee-line for her pew and asked her to go on another date. Her mother and grandmother must have wondered what was wrong with me! While I don’t recommend my experience as a blueprint for finding a wife, this is how it worked out for me. 

To be continued tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment